Tuesday, May 6, 2014

The 21 day fix explained...

There are a lot of questions out there about what the 21 day fix is, so, I decided that for today's blog post, we will explore a day in the 21 day fix eating plan to help answer some of those questions! 

Before we get started- let me just give you a brief overview of what the 21 day fix really is. It is an exercise program just like p90x3 or focus t25, which lasts 21 days, with a different workout scheduled each day of the week which is 30 minutes in duration. It is also a diet plan.  But not just any diet plan- this one is unique in that it really teaches balance and portion control, unlike any other diet plan I have come across. It really is a dietitians dream come true. I also love that the program is 21 days- just long enough to help you create a new habit of eating right and exercising, but not so long that you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. It is NOT a crash diet or magic pill. It is simply good old fashion healthy eating and exercise made simple, making your goals realistic and attainable. 

I have not personally tried the workouts yet, but many of my friends who have done p90x and Focus T25 say that it kicked their booty and left their muscles sore- but that it also has a modifier, so it is great for all fitness levels. I will be conquering the 21 day fix  as my next fitness endeavor once I am done with focus T25.

Now onto the food, my favorite part! The 21 day fix diet is a combination of clean eating and portion control which ultimately leads to the best results. 

It comes with a guide book that explains everything very simply. During the first week, that guide book will be your best friend. It also comes with perfectly portioned containers that are color coded based on food groups, to ensure that you are eating exactly the right portions of a perfectly balanced diet. 



Here is a summary: 
Green- non-starchy vegetables (does not include peas, corn, or potatoes)
Red-protein
Purple- fruit 
Yellow- complex carbs 
Blue- healthy whole food fat sources 
Orange- dressings/ seeds etc 

Based on your calorie range (which the book shows you how to figure out), you are allowed so many of each cup.  Then, within the book, it explains and lists the most nutrient dense foods from each group to choose from so that you are using food to actually fuel your body in the best way that you can. 

At first, when my kit arrived in the mail, I thought FOR SURE I would be hungry! But the truth is, this is a lot of food, just a lot of THE RIGHT food! 

I have also found that it helps me more easily distinguish between hunger and a craving. For instance- if I am "hungry", but only "hungry" for a yellow (complex carbohydrate), and NOT for green (non-starchy vegetable), then I am not truly hungry but rather simply experiencing a craving.  

Also, when I first got my kit, I was highly confused and thought "ok, this COMPLICATES menu planning- NOT simplifies it!" But that feeling quickly passed as I got the hang of it. It helped me TREMENDOUSLY to breakdown my menu planning based on container color. 

Here is how I do my planning:
Breakfast- 1 red, 1 purple
Snack- 1 blue, 1 purple
Lunch- 1 red, 1 green, 1 yellow, 1 orange
Snack- 1 red, 1 green
Dinner- 1 red, 1 green, 1 yellow

Below you will find pictures of what a complete day of containers actually looks like within my personal calorie range. 



I seriously wish I could purchase this set for each of my patients because it is such a fantastic teaching tool for illustrating what proper portions are and how to bring balance to your plate!  It has helped me personally TREMENDOUSLY, and I have lost 7.2 lbs in less than 3 weeks eating on this plan. And no, I am not starving. 

I realized, once i started perfectly portioning out my food, that i was simply eating too much of certain foods before and not enough of others. I seriously cannot rave about this program enough, and I want to personally invite you to try it out for yourself. I have a 21 day fix challenge group coming up on May 19th that will give you daily motivation, accountability and support to bring you the best results possible! Plus, you will have me by your side to walk you through the entire process and answer any and all questions that arise. If you are ready to take the next step, or need more information, you can click on the " challenge group" tab at the top of my blog and fill out the request to join, or simply drop me an email at bbaeznutrition@gmail.com



So here it is: a complete day in pictures:

breakfast- shakeology (sorry, I slurped it down before I could snap a picture! I seriously love this stuff), and sliced strawberries. 


Snack- apple and 12 almonds 

Lunch- mason jar chicken salad with kale, corn (sometimes I use black beans instead), diced chicken, and dressing (I use "braggs" dressing from whole foods.) (layering is key to mason jar salads- first dressing, then corn or black beans, next chicken, and lastly, the kale.) 



Snack- carrot sticks and a fage 0% Greek yogurt cup 



Dinner- meatloaf (2 lbs extra lean ground turkey, 1 pack onion soup mix, 1- 1/2 cups salsa, 1 cup oat bran and 2 eggs- stir together, form into a loaf, and bake at 375 for 60-70 minutes), quinoa salad and mashed cauliflower (wash, chop, and steam with garlic for 10-12 minutes, then purée in a food processor with 2 tsp butter and season to taste) 






The whole family is following the fix- I keep the containers on the counter and portion out everyone's dinner plate based on their calorie range and what they've already eaten that day. 





And here is my progress picture following the 21 day fix meal plan and exercising with focus t25! 




Ok, hopefully that answers most of the questions about the 21 day fix!Let me know if I missed anything or if you have further questions, and don't forget to mark your calendars for May 19th and sign up for our 21 day fix challenge group! Together, we can, AND WILL, reach our goals! 

Have a blessed day! 








2 comments:

  1. I love this concept. I do pretty well with my own eating now days but would love to improve and this would be great for my hubby and daughter. Where can I find this set?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! This set can be purchased in the 21 day fix kit from www.teambeachbody.com/bdbaez ... simply create a free account and then you would visit the "shop" tab. Hope that helps! If you have anymore questions, you can e-mail me at bbaeznutrition@gmail.com. God bless!

      Delete